2020 Stormwater Master Plan
Virtual Open House
July 20-August 7
The City of Salem is updating its Stormwater Master Plan to guide how the Salem community should address the many challenges associated with urban stormwater runoff. The draft plan:
- Contains goals, objectives, and policies to guide decisions regarding stormwater programs and projects
- Provides direction on how to invest to best meet current and future demands on the stormwater system
- Recommends projects to reduce flooding risk and other adverse impacts related to stormwater
- Reflects regulatory changes and advances in stormwater management practices
- Includes detailed basin plans, which will facilitate updates to the overall master plan as basin plans are revised and updated
The Stormwater Master plan was completed with the support and counsel from the members of Salem’s Stormwater Advisory Committee. Members represented a range of personal and professional perspectives, including engineering, architecture, construction, development, real estate, environmental advocacy, and more.
Phased Approach to Stormwater Master Plan
The Stormwater Master Plan takes a phased approach to master planning, unlike the single effort that was done in 2000. The first update of the Stormwater Master contains the results of three new basin plans:
The plan will be presented to City Council for consideration in September 2020. Following adoption, the Stormwater Master Plan will then be updated as new basin plans are completed.
How to Participate in the Open House
The City of Salem wants to hear from you about the Stormwater Master Plan. Please review the information provided to learn more, then offer your input:
- Take a look at the Introduction to Salem & Stormwater
- Read frequently asked questions about stormwater and flooding
- Read the Stormwater Master Plan and view the Planning Overview video
- Read the Stormwater Basin Plans and view the Plan Overview video
- Offer your comments or ask questions
- Share with your friends and colleagues
- Get additional online resources and information about stormwater and flooding
Frequently Asked Questions
What are local agencies doing to manage flooding?
What can you do to be prepared for flooding?
Common questions about flooding:
Stormwater Master Plan
The City’s Stormwater Master Plan contains goals, objectives, and policies that guide how Salem can address challenges with stormwater runoff. Computer modeling has helped identify problem areas and provide recommendations in the plan to reduce flooding risks and other impacts.
This plan provides direction on how to invest in stormwater programs and infrastructure to best meet current and future demands on the stormwater system.
Stormwater Basin Plan
This Stormwater Master Plan includes nine detailed basin plans. Draft basin plans for Battle Creek, Mill Creek, and Pringle Creek have been completed. Each basin plan describes the basin, summarizes modeling methodologies, and identifies facilities needed to accommodate current conditions and future growth. The order of progression for completing plans for the remaining six basins has not been determined.
CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE
Please Submit Your Comments & Questions
Your comments and questions will be compiled and submitted as part of the information considered by City Council as part of adoption of the Stormwater Master Plan.